|Photo (of hand dyed alpaca yarn) by Jessica Burko|
If you knit, crochet, or craft with yarn in any way, shape, or form, this weekend is for you!
The Greater Boston Yarn Crawl 2012 is happening THIS Friday though Sunday, September 28-30. Join fellow yarn enthusiasts for a self-guided tour of the premier yarn shops in the greater Boston area.
Sixteen fabulous local Boston yarn shops will be showcasing yarn, hosting special guests, and featuring trunk shows and demonstrations. Many special sales, raffles and giveaways will also be offered. This is a wonderful way to discover some different shops in your area, or revisit your favorites. You choose – visit all the shops, a few of the shops, or just one. A yarn crawl is also a super way to mingle with other fiber fanatics and find out what they are excited about.
Finding your way around the crawl is easy! Find all the information you need here, http://www.yarn-crawl.com/, or at the links below...
• Click on Shops to learn key information regarding store names, locations and crawl hours. Pay close attention – the hours are different for each shop.
• Plan your route by printing a copy of the Pattern, which includes a map. It is VERY important to bring a pattern with you – some shops are offering special deals to those who present their pattern.
• Be sure to check out Specials to see a list of the exciting events planned at each shop.
• In case you get hungry or want a variety of shopping opportunities, you will find a list of local restaurants and shops near many of the yarn shops by clicking on Extras.
• Last but not least, you will find an amazing list of Sponsors who have generously donated items to help make the Greater Boston Yarn Crawl 2012 a success.
To give you a taste of what each yarn shop has to offer, here's what JP Knit & Stitch in fabulous Jamaica Plain is planning for the next few days:
• free mitten and scarf pattern with every purchase.
• with every purchase of $50 or more, you will receive a 15% off coupon towards your next purchase.
• lots of great raffles (blanket pattern + yarn; mitten and scarf; and more).
FRIDAY, 3-6PM at JP Knit & Stitch: performance by the fiber artist Virginia Fitzgerald: Come see fiber artist Virginia Fitzgerald perform her piece, Insatiable. This piece is an ever growing, organically crocheted fiber piece in which she crochets a myriad of different materials, some traditional fibers and yarns and some untraditional -- old plastic bags, electric cords, balloons, etc. Beside using the different materials that she has collected, Virginia encourages others to bring in materials to add to the piece. So look around your house and bring in any greenish/brownish fiber like materials - such as, scraps of yarn, strips of fabrics, old nylons, gift wrapping ribbons, old ribbons, old packing materials, old plastic bags....the sky's the limit, let your imagination run wild!
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY at JP Knit & Stitch: Photo Booth Session: Crafter's Edition with photographer Jennifer Waddell. For more information about how to sign up for a session, click here.
SUNDAY at JP Knit & Stitch: Trunk show with Knit Collage, a nationally distributed indie yarn company based in Boston. Love their unique, globally inspired yarns and ethically conscious business practices. Come and be inspired by their handspun yarn influenced by nature, travel, and fashion.
Be sure to come back here to add your comments and share where you crawled this weekend!